BECOME an Earth Saver in Six Simple Steps!
- You or someone else representing your local park or community site can sign up for an Earth Day Mini-Grant by using our online Application (fully explained below) by March 17th.
- Shortly after the 3/17 deadline, the Mini-Grant awardees will be announced.
- Once the Mini-Grant awardees have been announced, sign up to volunteer for a project through a forthcoming link on our website.
- Tell your friends! Get them to sign up to volunteer too! This is a team effort!
- Lace up your work boots, put on your gardening gloves, and show up on Earth Day (Saturday, April 22nd) so you can be an Earth Saver!
- Even if you don’t sign up ahead of time to volunteer or don’t see an official project in your neighborhood, contact us! There will be clean-ups and projects in every neighborhood throughout the city– Anyone who wants to be an Earth Saver will be welcome to join in!
5th Annual Providence Earth Day Spring Cleaning – 2017 Mini-Grant and Event Application
The Mayor’s Office of Sustainability, The Providence Department of Parks & Recreation, and The Partnership for Providence Parks are once again pleased to offer a small grants program to provide funds to help with your event for Providence Earth Day Spring Cleaning 2017 on April 22rd. Additionally, we will supply: posters, trash bags, lawn and leaf bags, mulch, gloves, and buttons. Also, per popular request, we will be providing hearty snacks and beverages for your volunteers in lieu of a party on that day. Please let us know quantities you will need for snacks, supplies and buttons (good for some freebies and great deals throughout the city!)
Please complete the online application by March 17, 2017!
- Groups may apply for awards up to $150. We will base our decision for award amounts on scope of project/events. Awardees will be notified on or before April 1, 2017.
- All events will be listed on a map on Serve RI and will include a description of the event, location, contact information and numbers of volunteers needed.
- We ask that you encourage volunteers to bring their own lawn tools. The DPW tool bank will also be available for a limited number of lawn tools. Tools are distributed on a first come first serve basis starting April 19th. Please use the attached request form and work directly with the DPW for tool loans.
- We are asking all awardees to post pictures and a short summary of their Earth Day event on the Partnership for Providence Parks Facebook or email them to us that weekend. We will have a brief survey for you to fill out so we know how to do things even better next year.
- The event is rain or shine. There will be no Rain Date. In the event of heavy and sustained rain, you may choose to reschedule your event for the next day or following weekend. If your event includes projects involving the Parks Department, please consult with Wendy Nilsson (Wnilsson@providenceri.com) before making any decisions.
- All supplies, food, beverages can be picked up at Recreation and Partnership Headquarters at 11 West Drive, Providence RI. You will be notified of dates and times when you can pick up your supplies when you are notified of the award.
What we will fund:
- Clean-up supplies
- Garden tools
- Plants and Trees
- Activities for children related to the environment
- Education and Conservation Activities
What we won’t fund
- Music and Entertainment
Please ask if you are not sure
If you have any questions about the online registration, please contact Catarina Merolli at CMerolli@providenceri.gov
By Mail: Partnership for Providence Parks, 11 West Drive, Providence, Rhode Island 02904