Join a a free public celebration of open-ended, child-directed play to kick off Playful Providence 2013 – a second-annual citywide celebration of play!
– Discover a Pop-Up Adventure Playground – an interesting assortment of everyday “loose parts” like sticks and branches, cardboard boxes, fabric and other open-ended materials. Build forts, design structures, invent imaginative playthings and more!
– Explore other playful activity stations like weaving, bubble and water play, wood working, instrument making and parkour.
– Enjoy lively music! Hear the Wheeler School’s jazz ensemble from 12:30-1:30.
– Join a brief speaking program featuring Mayor Angel Taveras and Providence Children’s Museum executive director Janice O’Donnell at 3 PM.
Event will happen rain or shine! Bring a picnic and play for awhile!
Playful Providence is a 5-month citywide celebration of play commemorating Providence’s status as a Playful City, a recognition that honors cities and towns that make play a priority. Playful Providence is planned by the Partnership for Providence Parks in collaboration with Providence Children’s Museum, the City of Providence (Department of Parks and Recreation, Department of Art, Culture + Tourism, Healthy Communities Office and Office of Sustainability), Pop-Up Adventure Play, Mental Health Association of Rhode Island, Friends of India Point Park and other partners.
Many thanks to these Pop-Up Play Day supporters!
– Materials and activities donors: Cranston Print Works, Esten Rug, Joe’s Backyard Band, Cas Holman, Providence Forestry Division, RI Parkour, RISD, Quintin Rivera-Toro, Wheeler School Music Department, Linda White, Wickford Appliance and others.
– Whole Foods Market University Heights and Panera Bread for providing snacks and beverages for volunteers.
Click here to learn about volunteering at Pop-Up Play Day.